PORTLAND STATE UNIVERSITY
Q: I don’t have a laptop at home, what are my options?
PSU users can check out Windows laptops or Chromebooks for the entire Spring term at the Library Circulation Desk on the first floor. Additionally, some departments have their own laptop loaner programs, so check with your department. Click here to go to the laptop lending program with up to date information.
I feel that because of a disability or accessibility barrier, I may not do well in classes that are held remotely and not face-to-face. What are my options?
Contact the Disability Resource Center (DRC) to discuss your concerns. They can be reached at 503-725-4150 or email@example.com. The DRC will work with you and/or your faculty to provide support
While all physical locations in the Advising & Career Services Division are closed, staff are working remotely. Advisors and career counselors continue to be accessible via email, and are available for phone and video conference appointments. Offices will be responsive to communication through phone and email as listed below:
Contact Information for Academic Advising
- Online: www.pdx.edu/advising
- Voicemail (checked on a regular basis):
- Undergraduate Advising Resource Center 503-725-3822
- School of Business Advising: 503-725-3712
- Urban, Public and Global Affairs pathway: 503-725-9210
- Engineering, Computer Science, Math & Physics: 503-725-4631
- Email: Students who know who their advisor is are invited to email them directly or their pathway team. In the absence of this, they may email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Scheduling Appointments: Information about how each advising pathway handles appointments can be found on each individual pathway page.
Contact Information for the Career Center
- Online: https://www.pdx.edu/careers/home
- Voicemail (checked on a regular basis): 503-725-4613
- Email: email@example.com or for Handshake issues: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scheduling Appointments:
- Career Counseling: acspsucareer.youcanbook.me
- Internship Advising: acsinternships.youcanbook.me
Transfer & Returning Student Resource Center
- Online: www.pdx.edu/advising/transfer-center
- Voicemail (checked on a regular basis): 503-725-2136
- Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Book store, all online orders received free shipping. Students who are unable to shop online, receive Bookstore deliveries (such as in the dorms), or ship returns can visit the Bookstore during posted clerk-service hours. To maintain proper social distancing only two students are able to be assisted at a time, so your patience is appreciated – please check online for up-to-date hours: https://www.bkstr.com/portlandstatestore/store-hours
For spring term the library will continue to support students and faculty in remote teaching and learning by providing online services and resources. The first floor of the building will be open limited hours to provide access to the OIT Computer lab, checkout of laptops and A/V equipment, on an appointment basis. For an up-to-date listing of Library hours, visit this page. For a detailed list of services and fees/fines waived during the COVID-19 period, please see our website: https://library.pdx.edu/services/library-services-spring-2020/
Student Health And Counseling
- Call first!
- SHAC Health Services has limited onsite staff seeing essential appointments in the afternoons (instruct students to call ahead), as well as phone triage and emergency walk-ins all day during business hours. Telehealth is planned for the second week of spring term.
- Counseling Services is conducting all appointments remotely via phone or Zoom Telehealth.
- Dental Services has canceled all routine appointments at this time (consistent with Oregon Dental Board recommendations) and is taking emergency appointments only. Call ahead.
- Testing Services has ceased operations.
- All Health Promotion staff are working remotely on virtual programs. The Mind Spa is closed until further notice. Contact Julie Weissbuch Allina if you have identified a particular health education need during this time.
- SHAC Administrative Services (including Insurance) continues to operate, mostly working remotely.
Visit the SHAC website for more information : https://www.pdx.edu/shac/center-for-student-health-and-counseling
Student Financial Services
Due to the concerns related to the spread of COVID-19, our physical office space in FMH is currently closed. However, we are still performing all essential functions remotely. We can work with you via phone, chat, Google hangouts, or email.
ID Services will be open for limited hours only:
- Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
- Noon – 2:00PM
Student Financial Aid & Scholarships
Due to COVID-19, our physical office space in FMH is currently closed. However, we are still performing all essential functions remotely. We are available via phone, chat, or email.
Toll-free: (800) 547-8887
The Millar Library 1st floor computer lab and the computer lab in Fariborz Maseeh Hall (FMH) will be open for Spring Term. For information on hours, refer to the Computer Labs support page.
Students can access a selection of academic software applications with their personal laptops and desktop computers using OIT’s Virtual Computer Lab (VLAB).To learn more, visit the VLAB support page. Students can log in to the VLAB at vlab.pdx.edu.
Residence Hall Dining Services
We are open! That being said, our Main Office and Montgomery Area Desk are closed. Students can reach out to us via email@example.com if they need anything at all.
Victors Cafe remains open for residents.
International Student Services
All advising services will be offered remotely until further notice. We will be sending out a weekly email update regarding important immigration and PSU information for students and scholars.
Drop-In Advising is available during our regular drop-in hours (below). Join the Virtual Front Desk / Drop-Ins Meeting to chat with a staff person and be connected to an advisor.
You can also email us any time at OIA@pdx.edu. We are checking email Monday-Friday and will do our best to respond to you as quickly as possible.
Appointments are available via phone or video chat. Make an appointment online:
Appointments are for more complex questions. You can reserve a 30-minute appointment with an advisor. Make an appointment online at https://immigration-advisors.youcanbook.me/
If you need assistance, call 503.725.4094.
Not sure if your question should be answered in drop-in advising or through an appointment? Visit our Drop-In vs. Appointment Topics list.
The PSU Food Pantry has decided to reopen starting the second week of Spring term. Of course, given our current situation with the pandemic, we have made major changes to our procedures.
The PSU Food Pantry will now be temporarily located in 5th Ave Cinema on 510 SW Hall.
- We will offer shop-by-appointment only for Spring term. We will notify you when hours are posted.
- We will be shifting our usual shopping model to a “window” shopping model. This means that one to two patrons will stand at an entryway and a personal shopper will select items for patrons (patrons will still be able to select which items they would like).
- This allows us to follow proper social distancing procedures, as well as limiting the amount of hands touching products. Click here to see pg. 9-10 of the Food Bank of Alaska Client Choice Handbook for reference.
- The Oregon Food Bank is notifying all partners to reduce our orders to once per week, meaning that the Food Pantry may be less plentiful than previous terms. Pantry staff are looking into alternative sources of food to continue supporting students with our current capacity.
- Lastly, we are once again asking that if you are feeling unwell or sick that you please stay home. We are looking into possible delivery services, but the details are still TBD.
Stay up to date on all things Pantry-related on our Instagram! Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for emergency cases.
The Learning Center is committed to supporting you with academic coaching and tutoring 100% remotely during spring term. The LC is not reducing our hours for spring term. Our staff is available via phone and email for questions, as well as to schedule academic coaching appointments.
- All academic coaching appointments will occur over Zoom
- Our coaches are here to support you on your path to academic success including navigating your courses in the online environment
- Schedule an appointment by calling 503-725-4448 or fill out the Academic Coaching Interest Form
- All tutoring services will be offered by 30-minute appointments booked using the Penji app
- Sessions will occur over Zoom
- See our website for more information
General information: 503-725-4448
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Sam Sanford – Tutoring Coordinator: 503-725-9549
Shoshana Zeisman-Pereyo – Interim Director: 503-725-2592
The Rec Center is closed until further notice. All Campus Rec programs, activities, and events are cancelled. Campus Rec staff will be working remotely, and will generally be available via email or Google Hangouts Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
While we aren’t physically open, we want to bring the Rec Center to you! We will be providing a variety of virtual recreation and wellbeing resources and services spring term, including virtual Group X fitness classes. Sign up to receive our weekly e-newsletter for well being tips, virtual offerings, and opportunities to stay connected. We will continue to provide updates on our website and social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter).
Due to the concerns related to the spread of COVID-19, our physical office space in Karl Miller Center is closed until further notice. However, we are still performing all essential functions remotely. We can work with you via phone, Zoom, Google hangouts, or email.
- If you are unsure whom to contact, please click here to find the right person and make a virtual appointment. If you are still not sure whom to contact, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 503-725-4095.
- The Ed Abroad office is also regularly updating our webpage as updates occur.
The Bike Hub
The Bike Hub is closed until further notice. This includes all drop off service, self service, classes, and sales. If you have any questions or concerns, please email: email@example.com.
This unit will be cancelling all events between now and April 19th. A detailed message has been sent to all student organization leaders and SALP advisors have reached out independently to their student organization members.
Staff are available remotely and are working with student groups and programs to stay active and to host events online. Staff contact information can be found at https://www.pdx.edu/student-leadership/contact
Services for Students with Children
The Resource Center for Students with Children is open for remote business! Visit our virtual office hours 10am-4pm, Monday-Friday.
- Subscribe to our weekly newsletter for information about virtual programming for student parents and their families.
- Visit our google site for student parents during COVID-19. You’ll find lots of resources, like where to access food, legal help, information about home-schooling, and even a virtual activity room for kids.
- Little and Baby Vikings will be closed until further notice, due to orders from Governor Brown and the Early Learning Division. We will re-open as soon as we’re safely able to do so and will inform our student parent community.
Women’s Resource Center
The Women’s Resource Center lounge will be closed until further notice. We will offer menstrual products outside our door, free for all students who need it and will refill these as we are able to be on campus. April’s Sexual Assault Awareness & Action Month events will be held via webcast and we will be providing digital opportunities to connect in community as we are able. More information will be available about that via social media and our website soon. You can also call our direct line to speak to a staff member at 503-894-7982.
- Sexual and Relationship Violence Response Services will still be provided. We have created a direct line in lieu of our front desk line where you can call to speak to someone on staff immediately to ask questions or arrange for confidential advocacy. The number to call to speak to a staff member is 503-894-7982. Appointment options are telephonic and video call. If you need to request an in-person appointment due to safety reasons please call the phone number above.
- After hours protocol is currently still the same: CPSO or UHRL are to call the 800 after hours number to refer students who need immediate assistance via phone.
Sexual and Relationship Violence Response Services
Will still be provided. We have created a direct line in lieu of our front desk line where you can call to speak to someone on staff immediately to ask questions or arrange for confidential advocacy. The number to call to speak to a staff member is 503-894-7982. You can also still book appointments online at psuwrc.youcanbook.me. However, appointment options are telephonic and video call. If you need to request an in-person appointment due to safety reasons please call the phone number above.
Queer Resource Center
The QRC lounge will be closed until further notice. The QRC staff will work remotely to ensure students can still access our services, events, and programs. Students will be able to connect with staff directly for resource support, advocacy, and community care. Our events and programs will move to online formats. We are working with the Food Pantry to make safer sex materials and menstrual supplies available during our closure. Please visit the QRC website for more details on how to stay connected with QRC services.
Multicultural Retention Services
The Multicultural Retention Services office is closed until further notice. Please note that we will continue to provide services remotely for students. MRS advisors are available via phone, email or google hangouts Monday-Friday from 8:00 am – 5:00 pm. We will continue to provide updates on our website. For general questions please contact Jeffrey Smith, DMSS & MRS Office Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Michelle Lee, Coordinator of Asian & Pacific Islander Student Services, email@example.com
- Emanuel Magaña, Coordinator of Latino/a/x Student Services, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Trevino Brings Plenty, Coordinator of Native American Student Services, email@example.com
- Vvdual Holloway, Coordinator of African American Student Services, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Perla Pinedo, Director of Multicultural Retention Services & Diversity Scholarship Coordinator, email@example.com
Cultural Resource Centers
Check out our COVID-19 Programming & Student Services Plan: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SYgBZAfJPUCUuOg1ord77Py-c5E8XyDtVO68nTRsD6c/edit
La Casa Latina Student Center, Multicultural Student Center, Pacific Islander, Native American Student & Community Center, Asian, and Asian American Student Center, and Pan-African Commons will continue to provide resources, referrals, and programming remotely via our social media channels and online platforms.
Students can email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or stay engaged by following us on Facebook (facebook.com/psuculturalcenters) and Instagram (@psuculturalresourcecenters) where we will provide connections to all of our remote co-curricular, professional development, and scholarly experiences.
Staff across our six programs will be available to collaborate to keep students engaged and at the center of our work:
- Cynthia Gómez, Cultural Resource Centers Director, email@example.com
- Stacie Taniguchi, Assistant Director & Multicultural Student Center Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pedro S. Torres, La Casa Latina Student Center Coordinator, email@example.com
- Yolonda Salguiero, Native American Student & Community Center Student Program Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bree Kalima, Pacific Islander, Asian, Asian American Student Center Coordinator, email@example.com
- Ahmed El Mansouri, Middle Eastern, North African, South Asian Student Center Initiative Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Courtney Taylor, Pan-African Commons Coordinator, email@example.com
- Andrew Morales, Office Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
Native American Student & Community Center
The Native American Student and Community Center is closed until further notice.
NASCC professional staff will continue to work remotely and can be contacted via email:
- Yolonda Salguiero, Cultural Resource Centers Student Programming Coordinator, email@example.com
- Trevino Brings Plenty, Multicultural Retention Services Student Services Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Robert Franklin, Native American Student and Community Center Manager, email@example.com, and also google hangout.
Office of Academic Innovation
The Faculty Support Desk will help you as you take your class remote for spring term. They no longer have in-person drop-in options, but Faculty can reach out to speak with their support staff Monday-Friday, 9-5, online or via phone (503-725-6624), with questions about teaching or technology needs.
Self-paced resources as available 24/7 at oaiplus.pdx.edu. Here are some of the resources OAI has to support Faculty during this extraordinary time:
- Zoom-Ins and D2L Essentials trainings: Practice teaching remotely and ask questions of our technology experts every day in daily.
- Keep Teaching Kit: Suggested technology options & strategies for creating a supportive remote learning environment.
- Active Remote Learning: Here you’ll find some tried and true active learning techniques that you can easily transition to a remote setting using D2L, Zoom, and Google Docs.
- Talking with Your Students About Covid-19: Includes an example start of term faculty email to students and much more.
- Your Students’ Guide to Learning Remotely: Post all or portions of this guide, or modify the guide as appropriate to support students’ success in the remote course format.
- Remote Lab Kit: Support virtual lab exercises with assignments that combine data interpretation with the experience of experimental design, hypothesis building, and self-reflexive critiques.
- D2L Essentials: Essential tasks you’ll likely want to complete while teaching a course with D2L.
Office of the Dean of Student Life
In order to support social distancing of our staff and students, we have decided to suspend all in-person activities in the Office of the Dean of Student Life until further notice. To do our part in preventing the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus, we want to make you aware of the following changes that are effective immediately:
- In the case of an emergency, please contact CPSO Dispatch at 503-725-5911.
- All appointments with our CARE case managers will be conducted via phone.
- To submit a CARE report, click here.
- For questions related to CARE or to schedule an appointment with a CARE case manager, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and include your student ID number.
- All conduct hearings with our student conduct investigator will be conducted via Zoom video conferencing.
- To file an incident report, click here.
- For questions related to Student Conduct, please contact email@example.com.
- For all other inquiries or requests, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Office of Information Technology (OIT)
The Office of Information Technology has an assortment of resources available to aid faculty, staff, and students who are now teaching, working, and learning remotely. Please see go.pdx.edu/remote for more information.
The OIT Helpdesk is open 8 a.m. to midnight, seven days a week, and is available by phone, chat, or remote appointment.
Office of the Registrar
In light of current guidance to diminish the spread of coronavirus/COVID-19, we are suspending in-person service. The Office of the Registrar will provide service to the campus community in the following ways:
By Email (Students: please include your PSU ID number in all communication)
- Registration: email@example.com
- Transcripts: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Degree Requirements: email@example.com
- Veterans Certification: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Residency Classification: email@example.com
- 503.725.3220 or 800.547.8887, ext. 53220
- Fax: 503.725.5525 (registration) or 503.725.8180 (transcripts)
TRIO – Student Support Services (SSS)
TRIO – SSS staff will be working remotely until further notice. We will continue to provide updates on our website. TRIO – SSS students can contact their advisor via email. Advising appointments (phone or Google Hangouts Meet) may be made through our online scheduler. All other questions should be directed to our main line at 503.725.3815 or firstname.lastname@example.org and someone will get back to you as soon as possible.
Disability Resource Center
Disability Resource Center (DRC) is performing all essential work remotely. We can work with you via phone, Zoom, Google Hangouts, or email. Please call our office at 503-725-4150 and leave a detailed message or email us at email@example.com to make arrangements. Someone will call you back soon. Please note that some staff may call back from a blocked number.
Student Legal Services
PSU Student Legal Services’ office will be physically closed until further notice, but will continue to provide legal services remotely. Students are encouraged to access our services and intake forms through our website or by calling our office and leaving a voicemail at 503.725.4556.
Pre-College TRIO: Upward Bound / Educational Talent Search
The Pre-College TRIO office will be closed until futher notice. All Spring field trips have been cancelled. However, TRIO Pre-College staff are working remotely and are available via email and text for advising. We will be following directives from both Portland Public Schools and Portland State University in determining when to re-open and when to return to target schools. Staff email addresses can be found on our website.
Veterans Resource Center
VRC staff will be working remotely until further notice. The VRC director will provide updated information to veteran students as received from school administration in coordination with affiliated offices and agencies during the course of the COVID-19 concern. We will provide updated information via social media both via Facebook and Instagram. Staff email addresses can be found on our website.
- Walt Ghant, Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Valicia Kutchinski, Program Coordinator, email@example.com
Parking and Transportation
Until April 30, all commuting employees and students may utilize unrestricted PSU permit parking areas at no cost. Their office is closed until further notice, however they can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mail and Package Services
Service will be provided M/W/F only to the few departments on campus whose offices are open. Mail/packages for all other departments will be kept in the PSU Mailroom until departments re-open. If a department needs their mail/packages before then, they may contact 503-725-4922 or email@example.com to set up a time to pick it up, or for the material to be delivered. Outgoing mail from departments whose office is not open, may be picked up by appointment or dropped off at the mailroom M-F between 9am and 3pm. UPS and FedEx have been asked to deliver all packages addressed to PSU buildings, other than to SHAC, to the PSU mailroom.