OREGON STATE UNIVERSITY
As an OSU student, what should I be doing to participate in remote teaching delivery?
Prepare to use Canvas, our learning management system, as well as Zoom, OSU’s web-conference tool. These tools are already available to all students and you likely have experience with them from previous classes. If you need assistance, please contact the Community Network Service Desk at 541-737-8787 or visit this support website. You can also check out the student tips for Zoom
Is OSU recommending I stay in Corvallis, or remain in my home community?
Following the governor’s executive order on March 23, 2020, and President Ray’s subsequent message urging the OSU community to stay home, we ask on-campus residents – who already have left campus – to strongly consider staying in their home communities while taking remote OSU spring term classes. For those residents who determine that staying in their residence hall is the best option for them, we will continue to remain open and provide safe housing and dining services.
We care about your basic needs
You can also schedule a remote appointment with HSRC’s basic needs navigator for help applying for unemployment and SNAP benefits, learning about the Oregon Health Plan or exploring options when facing homelessness.
Take care of your emotional well-being
Everyone’s situation is different, even as we all navigate through a challenging, uncertain time. Don’t blame or shame yourself for what you can or cannot do right now. It helps to separate what is and isn’t under your control, then do what you can to ensure your safety and mental wellness. A few suggestions:
- Stay connected with others as much as possible. Fortunately, technology makes it easy to connect with friends and family. Call, text, video — there are plenty of options. Visit the Connect & Engage page for other ideas.
- Give meditation a try. BEavers Here Now will livestream two 15-minute meditation sessions at 3 p.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday every week.
- Check out Counseling & Psychological Services’ Resilience Toolbox for screening tools, self-help modules and apps for mental wellness and mindfulness.
- Follow @osuwellnessagents on Instagram.
Find support at Oregon State
We know this is a challenging time. Though our modes of service delivery have changed, we are here for you. Students seeking mental health support have a number of services they can access remotely:
- Counseling & Psychological Services is operating remotely, with most appointments via Zoom. Our on-call clinic for consultations and immediate needs continues to operate regular hours. To request a consultation, email email@example.com. After hours, call 541-737-2131 and a counselor will be there to help.
- CAPS Single Session Clinic is available to discuss a current problem or concern. Schedule a one-time Zoom session with a CAPS counselor.
- Wellness coaching helps you navigate transitions and overcome challenges. Schedule a Zoom appointment with a wellness coach.
- OSU-Cascades students may contact Health Advisor Hannah Kuehl at firstname.lastname@example.org for help finding counseling resources.
Stay active while social distancing
Regular exercise is good for both the mind and body. You can still go outside for a walk, run or bike ride — just remember to maintain a safe social distance of at least 6 feet. Also, keep in mind that most parks, recreation areas and hiking trails, including all OSU Research Forests, are closed.
CONNECT & ENGAGE: Even with social distancing, you can still connect with other students and build community. Check out opportunities for remote activities and engagement.
The Career Development Center is open and committed to providing services to our students. All our services are now remote and we encourage you to connect with us via email or virtual drop-ins.
Virtual Drop-ins: Need advice on your resume or cover letter? Speak to a Career Assistant during our virtual drop-in advising times, Monday to Friday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. You will receive an email with information on how to join the meeting after registering.
Career Advisor Appointments: Continue to use Handshake to schedule appointments with your college-specific career advisor. Virtual appointments are available.
Use Our Online Tools: See below for online resume reviewing, career exploration, job searching and practice interviewing tools you can use from anywhere. You can also download our career guide to guide you wherever you are in your career path. Check out the Career Development Center overview or download our career guide for more comprehensive career advice.
April 30, 2020: All Majors Virtual Career Fair – 4:00pm – 7:00pm
STUDENT RESOURCES: Explore a comprehensive, searchable directory of resources from across Oregon State. Keep in mind that resources are adapting to remote delivery. We remain available to support you with a broad range of virtual services and opportunities to engage — from mental health support to academic coaching to recreational programming. Use the search function to find a resource by its name or filter by the location and type of resource that you are seeking. Please review the resource website or contact staff directly for information on how they are adjusting their practices to serve students remotely.
Students can reach 24/7 Canvas Support by clicking Help in the main Canvas menu (left side of screen). There are three options to choose from fly-out menu:
- Canvas Support Hotline: 1-844-329-3084
- Chat with Canvas Support (Students)
- Report a Problem (email)
OSU Service Desk
The OSU Service Desk provides general computer support and also provides an intake and routing service for all OSU technology support teams. Students can contact the Service Desk by:
- Phone: 541-737-8787
- Online: Submit a Help Request
Accessing Services Remotely
OSU is working hard to make services available to students through remote platforms (Zoom, phone, email and more). Most campus resources will update their websites with information about how to remotely access their services.
While the list below is not comprehensive, these offices are available to help you find campus resources that will fit your needs: